Wednesday 24 January 2018

Ka Pioioi

I liked this waiata best because I liked the song Ka pioioi1 e Tohu aroha haukāinga E hoki mai rā Kia kite atu i tō iwi e. E rotarota2 ana E katakata ana mai rā. Pūkana3 whetero4 mai I te ihi5 ā ō mātua.6 Kia kite atu ano I tō ataahua ai kanapa7 Pupuhi ai e te hau8 Kapohia āku roimata. Ka pioioi he tohu aroha haukāinga.9 This swaying dance shows the love of your home-town people. You've come back home, to see your people. There is gesturing and laughing with joy at your return, Eyes popping and tongues thrusting from the energy of those performing. I see again your beauty gleaming there caressed by the wind, and my tears are snatched away. This fluttering dance shows your home-town people's love.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew!

    What a cool song to pick - I like what the song is talking about too, it is really positive and uplifting.

    Do you sing this song in school at all?
    Is that why you picked it as your favourite song or did you just like the sound of the song?

    I think that my favourite waiata might be Pokarekare Ana, we used to sing this song in school and I didn't know what it was about until recently on a visit to Rotorua!

    Here is a link if you want to have a read of the love story and listen to the song:
    http://www.rotoruanz.com/media/media-releases/stories-and-articles/pokarekare-ana-the-love-story-of-hinemoa-and-tutan

    Keep up the great work Andrew!
    Ellee :)


    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.